Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Stealing away for a moment to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

If anyone asks me, "How was your Christmas?" I'd say, "I spent far too much time being Martha, because Mary was no where to be found. Now I'd just like some time to breathe. In silence." Crazy busy is not how I like to spend my time, but Christmas came in a whoosing whirlwind and flies by even still.

My children grumped yesterday that they are the only children in the United States who didn't get to watch one holiday show. I think it's true! No Frosty, Elf, Charlie Brown Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, or Rudolf. Does that make me the Grinch?

One of my most treasured memories of this year were Peace's words on Christmas Eve, "Mom, I don't care about getting presents this year. I just can't wait to see the expressions on everyone's faces when they open their gifts from me." He saved and squirreled away his allowance this year and truly gave gifts to touch hearts. He gave Buck and I the loveliest clock all on his own. Up until this year, my gifts from the children came from the Dollar Store or Buck. I can see that painfully awkward mix of manly maturity in Peace's thoughtfulness and his boyish playfulness in racing cars with his siblings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No Christmas specials?!

Straining the Grinch-o-meter on this side of Appalachia. : )

Merry Christmas!

Corina Bowen said...

I didn't get to watch National Lampoons Christmas either! A tradition that was overlooked in the whirlwind of Christmas for us too!

truevyne said...

Dear Coney,
Loved the photo of your children. Your son looks identical to your brother at that age. I remember!
As for the tv discipline-I learned that at your house.