Saturday, January 03, 2009

I don't know how a week can fly by so quickly. Our fam drove to Florida to enjoy the sunshine and the comfort of grandparents. We visited Tampa Zoo and Clearwater Beach. The kids swam everyday even though I mostly wore a sweater. It's been good to see the bright sun, because Tennessee has been as dreary, dank, and dark as I picture Ireland or Seattle. And I've been cold ever since I set foot back in my house. We added our loud and chaotic presence to the quiet ordered home of my mother and her husband. We played games, watched shows we don't get out in the wilds of the country, and ate lots of home cooked meals.

While in Florida, Buck and I took in a movie, Seven Pounds which I recommend. I like surprises. Buck had the movie figured out in 20 minutes, but it took me nearly 30 minutes to fit the pieces together. I also like puzzles.

Buck flew home early to work, and when he wasn't working at the control tower he was working in our nasty garage. He asked me for serious purge instructions. I don't even remember exactly what was in there, so we can certainly live without it. Everything from teaching supplies to party decorations are gone and in their place- peace of mind. There is still more to be done, but there is a remarkable transformation already. Buck also did maintenance on the roof and farm chores like hoof trimming. What a man.

The kids and I were invited to my friend Piper's in Atlanta to spend the night to break up our long drive home New Year's Day. She prepared traditional black eyed peas, turnip greens, rice, chili, and even hog jowls. In the morning, she made my son, Peace, a huge birthday breakfast. Our kids haven't seen each other since they were toddlers, but you'd have never known it. They jumped in together and made fun with capture the flag in the dark and other teenagery mayhem.

We arrived at our home in time to pull out suit jackets, ties, dress shirts for ironing. Our friends held a Call to Manhood dinner for their oldest son, Hobbes, in which my husband participated, and the rest of us attended a lovely reception following. I met Hobbes' extraordinary keyboarding teacher who will have Peace in his class beginning Tuesday. Many told stories of the strong and kind character of Hobbes, and of his scholarly approach to learning. I admire his peaceful spirit and the way he stands for truth and purity.

Our grand finale of winter break will be an overnight hoopla in Deer Lodge tonight.
Then it's back to daily routines.

No comments: