Sunday, November 13, 2005

The End of the World as We Know It

The story in the Knoxville paper

Knology manager trumpeted visions of end times to media

By LARISA BRASS AND BILL BREWER, brass@knews.com, brewerb@knews.com
November 12, 2005


The general manager of Knology's Knoxville operations has been fired after expressing religious views about the end of time to local media outlets, including the News Sentinel.
John Gilmore, 34, has managed the local office of the Georgia-based provider of cable television, Internet and phone services for the past five years and has been with the company for six years. He was relieved of his duties Thursday.



"Looks like you made it." Clay speaks to me when I walk into his home Saturday morning from a pleasant night of sleep at the guest house.
"Huh?" I had forgotten all about our conversation around the bonfire the night before.
"The world did not end and we are all still alive today. Isn't that something?"
"Oh, yeah! It's good to be alive."

I don't know John Gilmore from the article, but his name, face, and voice had been all over the news in Knoxville last week, because he predicted a major tragedy would happen to end the world on November 11, 2005. I am not sure why he got all this attention except for the fact that people may be feeling shell shocked and fatalistic from the school shooting and three house fires in this area claming many lives recently.

More than likely I do know friends of John, because I know lots of technology wizards like him around town, and I don't want to make fun of him or his beliefs. I'm just sad that when something like that is publicized and nothing really BIG happens, he'll have no credibility. In the future, the label of conspiracy theorist will stick like glue to that man. I suppose his getting fired is something BIG in his life. He'll have to battle crazy reputation verses great talents and gifts from here on out.

No comments: