Friday, November 18, 2005

Something True

God does not demand that we give up our personal dignity...that we lose ourselves and turn from all that is not him. God needs nothing, asks nothing, and demands nothing, like the stars. It is life with God which demands these things...God does not, I regret to report, give a hoot. You do not have to do these things -- unless you want to know God. They work on you, not on him.

You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however, you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is necessary. But the stars neither require nor demand it.

~~Annie Dillard
Teaching a Stone to Talk


I read this fabulous quote on Martha, Martha's blog. It says everything I need at this moment, since I won't blog about some deep pain I'm experiencing of late. I can't think of a way to blog it down and keep the dignity of all those involved intact. So I'll let Annie Dillard speak for me today.

3 comments:

Running2Ks said...

Virtual hugs and very real prayers from me to you during this difficult time.

~pen~ said...

i am sorry you are going through a difficult time. i'll light a candle for you this morning.

truevyne said...

Thank running. Tuesday should be some resolution.

M2, I so appreciated this quote from your blog. I appreciate the candle. Candles bring me hope.