Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This morning I considered the fact that I needed to balance my city stories by sharing the rays of light which made life in the city abundantly joyful. I was surrounded by an intentional community of people working together to make a difference. Residents, born and raised in the area, and who had the means to "move up and out", stayed in town to positively impact the lives of their family and friends. I knew the majority of these people through my three previous years of work in the neighborhood before I took up city dwelling. The day I moved in, a local named Lewis dropped by to welcome me, "True. I have a big dog, a big gun, and I live right around the corner. Call anytime you need us." Others like James, Jack, and Sister Word stopped in from time to time to visit and make sure we doing well.

Then there were the people who moved to the 'ville intentionally as ministry. I believe Claire did so first. I wasn't crazy about her when I first met her as she's intense and complicated. However, she has become a dear of kindred spirit to me now. Chris and Meredith Lee, who worked and still work intensively in the city, bought a house just 'round the corner and my already rich city life became even more rich and blessed. Beth, who lived a few blocks away in a swimming pool blue house, connected me to the elderly. I am thankful to still be in relationship with these saints.

There wasn't a street in Mechanicsville I didn't have a friend on in those days. It was a true community for me, and I've never found another like it since. When I walked my babies in the stroller, I was beckoned in for lemonade or conversation at least three times on every outing. I felt "hemmed in behind and before." It's still amazing that a reputation for kindness paved such a smooth path for me in a part of Knoxville most people downright avoided. If strangers in the projects had an inkling to bother me or mine, even children would take up on my behalf, "Don't mess with her. She a church lady." I wasn't sure how I felt about being called a "church lady", but it certainly had instant effects on squashing anyone's ill mannered behavior.

No comments: