Tuesday, July 11, 2006


The Swimming Lesson


Feeling the icy kick, the endless waves
Reaching around my life, I moved my arms
And coughed, and in the end saw land.

Somebody, I suppose,
Remembering the medieval maxim,
Had tossed me in,
Had wanted me to learn to swim,
Not knowing that none of us, who ever came back

From that long lonely fall and frenzied rising,
Ever learned anything at all
About swimming, but only
How to put off, one by one,
Dreams and pity, love and grace,

--How to survive in any place.

Mary Oliver


My mood is melancholy today. I'm wanting to reach one of my son's heart, and I just can't seem to find it. Oh, God, it's got to be there somewhere under all those hard glares and sighs of disgust. But where? How did I lose the path?

For me, parenting seems to be like the first swim lesson, only it's as succession of new and sometimes frightening first dives and frantic rising all along the way.

4 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Sorry you're going through a tough time.

truevyne said...

Thanks, Julana. I have an inkling it's brewing hormones. Aye, yi, yi.

~pen~ said...

you know, i have found in times like these, i just really give it all to God. i ask Him for His peace, for His wisdom, understanding. not to open my mouth at the wrong time, say the wrong thing, receive words spoken with a hard heart.

difficult, but you didn't lose the path. you are just being a bit sidetracked...

(happy blogiversary - i didn't want to respond to 3 posts lest i look like a zealot!)

Diane Viere said...

Here by way of Mommy Life--glad I found your site. God Bless you as you go through this tough time....
I understand your pain....From my blog title, "Time was, when a tiny soul, Clothed with flesh and bone Entered my life and carved Its image upon my heart. What lies ahead? Asks my heart."

Diane