Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I have a confession to make. Hopefully, we can still be friends even though I've openly disclosed a severe character flaw.

I like Woody Allen movies. Not all of them, but many. Yes, he's a morally depraved individual, but he makes me laugh. Hard. And I like to laugh, even if the jokes are written and spoken by a man who has sex with his adopted daughter.

Here's a blurb from a scene in Scoop which made me guffaw at the theater with Buck on Sunday.

Woody: "What persuasion are you?"
Upper Class English Woman at a fancy party: "Persuasion? Do you mean religion?"
Woody: "Yes."
Woman: "Christian. And you?"
Woody: "I used to be of the Hebrew persuasion, but I've since converted. Now I'm a narcissist."

Yes, he is. And he even jokes about it on screen in front of millions of people. I think he may have written the entire movie on the off chance that he could get some action on the side with his co-star Scarlet Johanson.

Though Manhatten Murder Mystery and Bullets over Broadway (don't you just love John Cusack?) are my all time favorite Woody Allen films, I enjoyed Scoop, another quirky whodunnit.


So, can we still be friends? I promise never to invite Woody over for dinner while children are present.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a Woody Allen piece. And that's not due to some moral reprehension, he's just never blipped on the radar screen. I'll have to try it out someday.

truevyne said...

Oh, Scott. I fear I may led you down a wrong movie path...

Questing Parson said...

I don't even remember which movie it was. But since I saw Woody Allen stop on his walk down the sidewalk to help direct a fellow who was parallel parking and directed him right into the bumper of the car behind him, I've been looking for an opportunity to do the same.

truevyne said...

LOL, questing!