Sunday, August 20, 2006

Why? Why on earth did critics pan it? Did they feel fooled by the poor marketing strategy into thinking it would be a horror film of some kind? Is that what disappointed them? Did they fall asleep watching? Though I can’t see how? Was it the plain title? Buck had a very funny explanation, but it gives away a tiny secret in the movie, and I couldn't do that to anyone. My guess it that these movie critics went in spiritually deadened or dull. They did not have ears to hear or eyes to hear the incredibly powerful message of hope and destiny in parable form.

I went into Lady in the Water hoping it might just speak to Buck’s heart for his forty second birthday. We both walked out after the movie choked up, unable to speak for a while. Then once we began to unravel the parable together, we couldn’t stop. I was caught up for a while in the character of Story and her unfolding meanings- the poor, the vulnerable, sacred history, the church , the innocent, those who cannot speak for themselves but impact our world with their very presence. Buck was undone by the respected man who exclaimed, “We want all it to be true!” Yes, we do, sir.

I wouldn’t dare ruin anything for you with details. Every inch tells us the best and only way it will all work out is to discover for ourselves in community.

One caution for sensitive viewers- the lurking enemy in the story is terribly frightening, much like our very real enemies. I for one, did not think this to be overdone or just for effect. There seemed to be purpose and meaning in every particular of film; where there was evil, special provision was given to overcome it.

I do not enjoy watching movies a second time, but when this one comes out on DVD, I’d like to buy it- and I have never once bought a single movie for myself before. Then I intend to share it with two or three particular groups of dear friends and asking the following questions,

“What is it that we going to do as a community?”

and

"What are the gifts we've laid down and refused to use because they've became to painful?"

What questions did the movie bring up for you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I've been interested. Thanks for not spoiling, and for enjoying the movie even though it was more than just gratuitous terror. Now I'm really interested.