Friday, August 04, 2006

Fall is upon us

In examining my fall schedule, I find myself filled with angst. Maybe I feel this way every year, but I can’t remember exactly. Finally after three years, we’ve decided to do local AYSO soccer instead of driving into Knoxville for our old soccer league. This means I and my children won’t see our dearest of friends every Saturday game day. Pooh Bear is finally old enough and interested, so we’ll have four completely different AYSO teams to keep up with. Is that even possible? Especially since one child has a three day a week practice schedule for a competitive team. What are the chances I could ask one or more of my children to stop loving soccer? Or stop being a boy full of energy to burn? Include Scouts, a one day co-op for Peace, my Shepherd’s Call work, and ballet and I’ve got my hands completely full.

What. Am. I. Thinking?

School is kicking my tail already. I mentioned how we’ve moved to an academically challenging plan, and I am definitely on task of teaching four or more hours a day. The semi-unschooling approach I used last year, worked but not well. This year I’m hoping my children make leaps instead of steps. I suppose we’re off to a great start seeing the work they’ve put in so far.

The final piece to the madness is that Buck’s schedule has changed to the very unrelaxing days of Wednesday and Thursdays off. We must get all our family business done during school days which is completely unsettling for me. We like to work and play together and then kick back, but this set of days off won’t permit. (Buck tells me in October he’ll start working mandatory overtime, because the FAA has once again ignored the air traffic control union’s warning to plan ahead for a shortage of personnel. Don’t worry, air traffic controllers are in short supply everywhere now, and it’s only going to get much worse as those who are eligible retire to free themselves from the new unreasonable FAA stipulations. How could it matter that the people who keep our skies safe are dreadfully tired from overwork? Some facilities are literally lack a hundred workers with no promise of more to come. Buck and I voted against our congressman yesterday in the elections, because he did not take the time to understand the situation when it was put before congress last month, but he somehow managed to win anyway without our votes.)

One thing I’ve introduced to my family this week is savingdinner.com. The company provides a menu and organized shopping list for six dinners and sides a week. Takes the thinking out of “what’s for dinner?” for a woman who hates to figure dinner every. Single. Afternoon. It’s helping keep my family well fed in the chaos.

I know I get snippy with my husband’s shift change every year, and I today I promise my family to do better than the last few grumpy days. Hopefully I’ll find grace and peace again in the midst of such busyness.

4 comments:

unquenchableworshipper said...

yeah..Im in the exact same situation too... oh wait.. there's a reason for that..

Now, playing the "Glad Game".. I can use all the overtime money to pay for your therapy!

B

Unknown said...

Now if just would have addicted your children to TV and video games, we wouldn't be having this problem. Would we? Uh huh, that's what I thought. (Soccer? You can play soccer on your Xbox, Johnny!)

Curious Servant said...

Hang in there sis...

truevyne said...

Scott, so you've somehow picked up on the fact that I won't allow my children video games or frivilous tv watching? Are you suggesting I buy a Gameboy or an Xbox, and I have my sanity back?
You just may be right...

Curious,Thanks. I'm hanging by a thread.