Wednesday, August 08, 2007


Claire, a friend who shares a beautiful vision for parenting at which I'd like to become better, asked my son Tater to list the lessons he learned at Children's International Summer Village. He told her he would, but I was skeptical that he'd ever follow through on writing it down. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised. Tater gave me permission to copy the things he shared with Claire with you, my blogfriends.

Eleven Year Old Wisdom

1. To lead, you must first follow.
2. It is far better to give than to receive.
3. Peace is better than an argument.
4. When someone holds false testimony against you, listen with a peaceful heart. Then when he is finished, in a peaceful way, show him his fault, that you didn't do what he says you did.
5. Take responsibility no matter what!
6. Listen to Authority. Parents, leaders, God! Listen even if it means giving up all you have.
7. Go out of your way to help people.

This is all I can think of right now, Miss Claire. I have to go to dinner. I will tell you if I remember more.


Claire called to thank him, "There are many adults out there who haven't learned these lessons yet, so you are really ahead of the game, young man. I'm so proud of you."

7 comments:

Milton Stanley said...

Tater truly does show a great deal of wisdom for an eleven-year-old.

But, as his mother, don't you think you ought to bring to his attention that he said absolutely nothing about the Tennessee Vols?

truevyne said...

Milton,
I know, I know. We'll have to work on that if Tater's going to become an awesomely bold leader one day!

kddub said...

wow, what awesome lessons for us all.

truevyne said...

kddub, definately easier to write than live, right?

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's AWESOME! I could learn something from that young man!

By the way, thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog today. I'm so glad my post isn't being taken the wrong way!

~Jana

Thicket Dweller said...

Priceless. I wonder if I shouldn't print those wisdom-snippets and post them on my walls.

truevyne said...

lDear Thicket,
Buck has already done that!