Saturday, May 12, 2007

Somethins' burnin'



My mom kept the children for us the last few days, so Buck and I could have a few days alone together. Quite a treat. We made a sunny day plan of hikes and beach, and a rainy day plan of museums and movies. It didn't rain, but we were forced to invoke the indoor plan. I knew something was up yesterday morning when I found the carhops at our swanky hotel (thanks again, Mom) in Tampa wore surgical masks. Outside everywhere plumed with smoke from the Georgia forest fires. Visibility on the bridge from Tampa to St. Pete was down to a quarter of a mile!

And here's a free vacation tip for you, I've learned through experience. On really smoky days in Florida, you might not want to be reading The Road, a post apocalyptic tale of a man and his son struggling to survive after fire burned the United States to the ground. It was not easy for me to shake the dark mood of the book while breathing in grey clouds as thick as fog all day long.

Here's my quick review of the book as it's now finished. It took me a a while to figure out Carthy's style, but eventually I grew accustomed to it. It's a page turning harsh journey book, not an uplifting redemptive read. I'd give it an 8 on The Super Scientific Vyne 1-10 reading scale.

3 comments:

FancyPants said...

OK, I'm watching way too much 24 when I read that your hotel carhops were wearing surgical masks, and I immediately worry that there was a bioweapons outbreak.

Like surgical masks would even help them....

(We just finished Season 3)

Hope you had a good time despite the smoky and gray day. That was really sweet of your mom.

truevyne said...

Dear Fancy,
My mom is terrific. And what's up with all the bloggers I adore loving 24? Did I miss the bloggie "must do" list?

FancyPants said...

Well, I don't know about a bloggie "must do" list (which sounds fun, maybe we should create one.) But my sister-in-law got us hooked on this. One night watching it at their place and we'll never be the same again.

It's so fun to rent the seasons and watch them. Especially with the hubbie after the kids are in bed. (I don't have kids, but it might be too much for your younger ones.....I don't know.)