Friday, July 06, 2007

I'm better today.
The airport was a bit chaotic, but the families enjoyed our last few hours before the children flew into the sunset. I'd hadn't met many of the siblings nor talked to a few of the parents, but we had ample opportunity as we waited. Tater and the other boy, Moses, stuck like glue the instant they saw one another. I told his parents we needed to be prepared to be family friends for life.
A teen aged brother of another camper, Mindy, sported a t-shirt on which I commented. The first words I ever spoke to this guy were, "Hey, you! Give me back my t-shirt. It obviously belongs to me." Across the front was written "God's favourite". However, he insisted the shirt certainly was his. His mother explained he'd gotten the shirt on a mission to Mozambique. Mindy is the youngest of seven- one sister, five brothers.
Mother of camper Sophia mentioned to a few of us to watch her on the reality hair dressing show Split Ends on July 28 at 6:00 pm. I've never met anyone who has actually done anything like that.
Just before boarding the plane I asked Tater to give me a hug to last me a month. He looked up at me and laughed out loud, "Hey, everyone. My mom is crying.", but he didn't let go for a very long time. When he finally did loosen his grip and walk down the breezeway, I called out,"Don't fall in love!" His laughter rang out again.
This morning the phone buzzed at 6:40 am, "I'm here, Mom and Dad. I can't talk long, but every one's luggage besides mine and our leader's was lost. I didn't sleep a wink yet, and I'm about to get lunch. Can you believe I'm not even tired?" No surprise there, right?
I remember praying that I would grow a true mother's heart for this child when we adopted him 9 years ago. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that I have that now. I'd describe my love for him as fierce. Though I'm not worried any longer, I notice the dull ache of longing and missing an important part of myself. It occurred to me that this is preparation for a time not so far in the future when my boys start finding their wings and flying the nest to magnificent destinies.

3 comments:

FancyPants said...

I'm sort of tearing up a bit here, and I don't even have kids!

You are a beautiful mother. And even though letting him go is the hard thing to do, it just might be the right thing. =-)

truevyne said...

Fancy, thank you. That's so encouraging.

unquenchableworshipper said...

I can't wait to read the blog about the SECOND phone call we got just 6 hours later..